Home / Resources / Articles / FAQs Regarding Your Slip-and-Fall Injury
Dark Mode

FAQs Regarding Your Slip-and-Fall Injury

Accidents happen in the course of daily life regardless of whether your age – there seems to be no limitation on where and when they occur. You can be just about anywhere and become the sudden victim of a slip-and-fall-injury.

Insurance agent regrets to inform victim about refusal to pay compensation

Walking out of your apartment, visiting a friend, doing routine shopping… all are normal daily activities until the unthinkable happens. Now, what do you do? Call a lawyer, a doctor, or just let it slide? These are normal questions, and hopefully, we can answer a few for you here.

1. How soon after I fall should I contact an attorney?

Any time you are involved in an accident, whether it’s related to a slip-and-fall or otherwise, you should contact a personal injury attorney in California right away. There are statutes of limitations in the state concerning how long you have to file a claim for certain injuries. Protect yourself ASAP by contacting a lawyer right after the accident to help you navigate your case effectively.

2. Should I seek medical attention if I feel fine?

It may take days or weeks to recognize that you’ve been injured at all. The shock and awe of falling can send mixed messages to the body that don’t immediately process pain signals. Get medical attention right away to document your injury and let us get started on seeking compensation for damages.

3. How long after my fall, do I have to file a claim?

A slip-and-fall injury is a personal injury claim in California, so there are certain time constraints on how quickly you must proceed with a case. In the state of California, you typically have only two years to start the claims process, but you should contact an attorney to see if you may need to file sooner. Our attorneys can help explore the depth of your case to determine the limitations on your specific case.

4. What if I fall at a friend’s or family member’s house? Will I have to sue them personally?

It’s a sad situation for everyone should you suffer a slip-and-fall accident at a friend’s or family member’s home, but your feelings of guilt shouldn’t deter you from getting the compensation and treatment you need, particularly if they have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance. Our California personal injury attorneys can help you build a case against their landlords or their insurance company, and you can get the help and assistance you need without putting a strain on friends and family personally. That’s what insurance is for!

5. How does a slip-and-fall attorney help me?

Your attorney will work diligently to prove your case, which includes reviewing medical documents, accident records, police statements, adjuster evaluations and any other relevant information to confirm statements regarding claims. We are on your side from start to finish to ensure you get a fair settlement.

6. What if I am partially at fault? Will my claim be denied?

Whether you are at fault or not, California is a purely comparative negligence state, which allows parties to collect for damages even if they are 99 percent at fault. However, the amount of damages is limited by the party’s actual degree of fault. Our attorneys can help you navigate these complex waters and ease your burdens.

Whether you were putting away holiday decorations, are a senior with mobility issues, or just happened to encounter a hindrance that caused you to slip and fall, a personal injury attorney at Dunnion Law can be the best advocate to have on your side as you navigate your way back to health.