Medical and Billing Records Specialist
We are looking for a team member to help support paralegals, secretaries, and attorneys at our law firm. The primary mission of this role is to efficiently obtain the evidence we need to win our clients’ cases. This means you will be part of a team of people focusing on collecting medical bills and records from medical providers so that our attorney teams can use them in their advocacy work.
We believe in justice, fairness, and personal & corporate responsibility. For us, this takes the form of fighting for the little guy, an individual, who is up against tough odds—usually in the form of a large corporate defendant. Our mission is to advocate for those in a fight for their value as human beings and lead them through conflict. We take this mission to heart every day.
When a person is injured, and they must go to an insurance company for the compensation they are owed under the law, the insurance company has a financial incentive to pay them as little as possible. This in practice leads insurance companies to at best treat that person like a number, and rely on an algorithm to determine the value of his or her life and lost experiences. At worst, it can and does lead to outright deceitful tactics. Our job is to stand against that, and to ensure the injured person is treated with the compassion and fairness they deserve. This role supports that mission by being responsible for collecting the evidence we will use in court to stand up for our clients.
Prior legal experience is not required—we care more about who you are and what you are capable of learning to do. However, there are some preliminary requirements:
- Typing ability (40 wpm minimum) and basic computer competency
- Ability to communicate clearing and work as part of a team
- Responsible and reliable. Able to commit to a set daily schedule.
- Professional in demeanor, communication, and appearance
What you’ll be doing:
- Contacting medical providers around the state to obtain medical bills and records.
- Communicating with medical providers to determine the best way to obtain evidence quickly.
- Reviewing the evidence you obtain to ensure it’s complete, and delivering it to the attorney team.
- Improving the process itself. One of our core values is continuous improvement, and we are always looking for ways to support our mission more effectively.
You’ll be a great fit and grow with us if:
- Like us, you appreciate challenging, goal-oriented work towards a common mission.
- You have the ability to build meaningful connections with clients, vendors, and coworkers, and place a high value on customer service.
- You value positivity and optimism, and want to contribute it to and receive it from your team.
- You are organized, diligent, and pay attention to details.
Schedule and location:
Full time (with benefits) and part time opportunities available. For part time, you must be able to commit to work Monday through Friday, with a set daily schedule that totals at least 20 hours per week and begins at or after 8am, and concludes by 5pm. We are flexible about the exact time of the shift as long as it meets this criteria.
We are flexible on whether this job is done from home or at our office in Monterey. Training will be on site, and then you may elect to perform the job mostly at home, e.g. with 1-2 days a week on site.
Our firm has a demonstrated history of success and promotes internally. Some of our highest-placed employees began at the bottom and we make every effort to recognize hard work and utilize our team members to their highest ability. Long-term growth as part of our team is possible with great performance.
Pay: From $17/hour
If you’re interested, please call (831) 373-8035 between 8:30 am – 5:00 pm PST Monday – Friday before or shortly after submitting your information on the Application form and ask to speak to the Recruiting Lead. If the Recruiting Lead is available, we will confirm your contact details, that we have your application, and perhaps ask a few introductory questions. If the Recruiting Lead is not available, leaving a voicemail and submitting your resume is fine—your voicemail can be as simple as, “Hi, my name is ____, and I am submitting a resume for the Medical Records and Billing Specialist position. My callback number is _____.”
Interested in joining the team? We look forward to your call!